Teach the world to fish

My husband and I were talking the other day about how everything changes when you have a child. Aside from the obvious stuff, like caring for another human being and everything involved in that process. We've both noticed that our brains seem to have fundamentally changed. Children are suddenly cuter, less annoying and we find ourselves empathizing with all parents. Before Emma came along, sure kids were cute, whatever. I still got annoyed by the crying baby on the flight to wherever, I couldn't believe parents would let their children do the things they did and a thousand other little things that I've since done a total 180 on. Emma has somehow rewired my brain into total "Mother" mode. I suddenly find myself totally unable to stand the thought of children without parents that love them and care for them. It appalls me that there are babies starving anywhere. Since entering grad school I have wanted to teach. Lately though, I find myself wanting to do more. I want to help these starving people learn how to grow the crops they need to not only survive but to also thrive. I want to be a crusader for the starving babies. I don't want to be a pessimist anymore. I know that the world is reaching it's carrying capacity and that the only way to avoid sweeping famine and mass starvation is to be able to farm smarter. Using what I know about soils, I want to help people feed themselves. We all know the saying of "give a man a fish and he eats for a day, but teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Governments are corrupt and food aid sent to help starving people doesn't always make it to the ones that need it most. These are the people that so desperately need a way to feed themselves and their children and most importantly be able to sustain that practice for generations to come. I want to teach the world to "fish." I feel like I haven't done enough to reach this goal but I aim to fix that slowly but surely. I want to do something important. Feeding the world is important.

Comments

Popular Posts