Observing wildlife

I noticed today, while digging through my bag looking for my stylus before class, that a lot of random things seem to be come up missing lately. These things never stay missing for long, just long enough for me to need them and notice they are MIA. I usually discover they are missing while out of the house and rummaging through my bag or the diaper bag. I came to the realization that these things all have some key things in common. The items that disappear are all 1) to some degree, shiny and/or 2) of moderate importance. Examples of items that vanish: 
  • stylus
  • pens (only the good heavy ones)
  • keys
  • sunglasses w/ or w/o case
  • planner (this is the only item that isn't shiny)
 The only explanations I can come up with are, in no particular order:
  • Ghosts are screwing with me
  • The husband is screwing with me (this one can never truly be ruled out)
  • I'm actually losing my mind (baby brain is not kind to me)
  • There is a Rhesus monkey loose in the house that leaves no other trace of being there
OR
  • I live with a 16 month old little girl. 
Being a fan of Occam's razor, I am inclined to go with the latter explanation. Although, like I said before, I can't every really rule out Stuart screwing with me for fun. The simple fact is that a toddler exhibits a lot of characteristics that are similar to those thieving little monkeys :) 
From Wikipedia: "Rhesus macaques are diurnal animals, and both arboreal and terrestrial. They are mostly herbivorous, feeding on mainly fruit, but also eating seeds, roots, buds, bark, and cereals."
  • Diurnal- check
  • Arboreal and terrestrial- check, she does like to climb
  • Diet- check, check, *sigh* check-check-check and check (It's almost impossible to keep her from eating soil. At least she'll have one hell of an immune system.)
"Rhesus macaques have specialized pouch-like cheeks, allowing them to temporarily hoard their food."
  • Cheeks- Chipmunks ain't got nothing on this kid. 
"rhesus macaques have demonstrated a variety of complex cognitive abilities, including the ability to make same-different judgments, understand simple rules, and monitor their own mental states." 
  • Cognitive abilities- Yep, she is getting cooler and smarter by the day. Notice they say understanding simple rules, not necessarily obeying...someday maybe.
"interact using a variety of facial expressive, vocalizations and body postures, and gestures...macaques will make "coos" and "grunts"...will emit "warbles," "harmonic arches", or "chirps." When in threatening situations, macaques will emit a single loud, high-pitched sound called a "shrill bark".[26] "Screeches," "screams", "squeaks", "pant-threats", "growls", and "barks"... 
  • Noises- Nailed it.
"Although they are infamous as urban pests, which are quick to steal not only food, but also household items, it is not certain if the pair of jeans draped over the wall... is their handiwork."
  • Pest- that may be a bit strong, though I admit to feeling that way about other people's kids on occasion. 
  • The key point here is the theft of food and household items. This is what little E has been excelling at lately. Thankfully, she leaves them in plain sight in the middle of the floor and isn't hiding them in air ducts or cubbies in the walls...yet. 
Until she grows out of Rhesus monkey phase, I will just have to remind myself of these similarities and giggle and try not to get annoyed when I discover my work keys are missing yet again. 

I wonder what animal is next?

Comments

Popular Posts