Modern cloth diapers


While at the Great Cloth Diaper Change in OKC a couple of weekends ago, I got to encounter the full spectrum of cd'ing moms (and some dads). There were the exhausted looking wife with husband and 4 children all within at least 2 years of each other, all under the age of 5, who cloth diapered because diapering multiple children would cost more than their mortgage payment. There was the single mom who needed some way to reduce costs. There was the mother who used cloth to save the earth and keep all of those disgusting, evil chemicals away from her baby. There were a lot of moms (and dads) that I felt like I could identify with. They were "normal" people, who chose cloth for a combination of the previous two reasons, cost and to avoid unnecessary chemicals on their child. I say "normal" because 1) let's face it, we cloth diaper, we aren't normal people and 2) because while they had their reasons that they believed in for using cloth, they weren't evangelists for cloth.

I love my cloth diapers and will honestly talk to anyone about it. But I don't try to force it on people (I don't think I do anyways). I try not to judge others for not using cloth. I read part of the book that came in the swag bag at the GCDC, and the author stated that cloth is no longer normal because we've lost a whole generation of knowledge to disposables. I think I understand what she's saying but at the same time I don't think it matters. Modern cloth diapers are so unlike the cloth diapers that my mother used that losing that knowledge of cloth isn't a big deal. What is a big deal is that the little bit of knowledge that has stuck around is all of the negatives associated with using cloth, most of which don't apply to modern cloth diapers.

I really enjoy showing people just how easy modern cloth diapers are and showing off my little girl's adorable fluffy butt!

Comments

Popular Posts